Makumu's Recipe book!
Makumu Flat Egg
One of the many to-do’s at Makumu Private Game Lodge is to have the Makumu Flat Egg for breakfast.
- 1x egg
- 3 x strips of crispy bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh Parsley
- Grease up your pan with oil/butter or use a non-stick pan.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and scramble with a fork, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture into the warm pan and leave the egg to cook.
- Once the egg is cooked remove with an egg lifter into your serving plate.
- Cut up the crispy bacon and add it on top of your flat egg.
- Use fresh parsley as garnish.
Three Cheese Parcel with Cranberry sauce
- 16 x 20cmx20cm phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 x 250g mozzarella
- 1 x camembert
- 1 x brie
- 200g dried cranberries
- 100ml orange juice
- 2 tbs sugar
- Egg wash (1 egg scrambled)
- Spray n cook or non-stick spray
- Preheat your oven to 180ᵒC
- Grease up your muffin pan with your non-stick spray.
- You will need 4 x phyllo pastry sheets for one cheese parcel. Brush each sheet of phyllo pastry with the egg wash.
- Line each muffin pan with phyllo pastry so that it forms flower like cups.
- Split your cheeses into 4 and divide them equally among your phyllo pastry flower cups.
- Close your flower cups once cheese is added.
- Bake at 180ᵒC for 15 min.
- Remove from oven and top with your cranberry sauce. Serve hot.
- Prepare a pan.
- Add the dried cranberries/sugar and orange juice to a pan and heat up until it has a sticky texture.
Kingklip Curry with Rice
- 600g kingklip fresh, cubed
- 220g white onions large, grated
- 3 Tbs oil
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 Tbs curry powder, medium
- 1 fresh chillies, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 200g cashew nuts
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh coriander
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and curry powder and fry for 3 minutes.
- At this stage, if you need a bit of extra oil… add another tablespoon.
- Add the fresh tomatoes, water and salt and let it simmer for around 8-10 minutes.
- Add your kingklip, and cashews and simmer for 10 minutes until the kingklip is cooked through.
- Do not stir it again otherwise, the kingklip blocks will fall to pieces.
- Scoop this curry from the pan on top of rice, add lots of coriander and enjoy.
Poppy seed and Citrus Cake
- 125 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 250g castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 375 ml self-raising flour, plus extra for flouring
- 125 ml milk
- 2 t vanilla paste
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 125 ml poppy seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 250 g castor sugar
- 250 ml water
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Zest of 2 limes
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C/Gas 4, and butter and flour a round cake tin. It is also a good idea to line the tin with a round of buttered paper.
- To make the batter, cream the butter and castor sugar before adding the eggs, one at a time. Beat well.
- Stir in the zest, flour, milk, vanilla paste, cinnamon and poppy seeds, and mix really well.
- Spoon the dough into the cake tin and bake for about 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to rest for a while before turning it over onto a cooling rack.
- To make the sauce, combine the lemon juice, castor sugar and 250 ml water in a small pot. Bring to a gentle boil and allow the sugar to melt before adding all the zest.
- Keep reducing the liquid until it is wonderfully syrupy and the zest is completely glaze and almost transparent.
- Place the cake on a serving platter and spoon the very-warm syrup over it.
- To decorate, pile the zest a heap in the middle of the cake.
Share This Page